Saturday, February 25, 2012

Tuesday 3 July 1280, Just After Nightfall (Speaking to Sadie and Dagwood)

You find Sal's mutton stew delicious, and Sadie's crimson ale is exquisite. As you consider your options, everyone seems to agree that finding the missing girl is the course to pursue.

When Sadie returns to see how you're enjoying your dinner, Duran asks her: "Might you happen to know where we could find the kin of this missing girl?"

"Why of course!" says Sadie. "She's the daughter of Mrs. Miggins, the pie shop owner. I spoke with Mrs. Miggins yesterday in the market. Very distraught, she was! It seems her daughter Elsie went out for a ride three days ago with that young lothario Bill Barley, and never came back. Mrs. Miggins is at her wits end! Ooh, she'd like to see that Bill Barley hanged, I daresay!"

Sadie looks around at the relative dearth of customers. "You know, things are slow in here right now. If you want to speak with Mrs. Miggins this evening, I could introduce you to her myself. You think it over while I quickly check my other clients. Then I'll be back and you can let me know if you'd like to speak to her tonight."

Gaven meanwhile, approaches the man at the bar. As Sadie passes near the bar on her rounds, Gaven signals Sadie to fill the man's drink, then says to the man: "If I may ask, good sir, what news in the gazette?"

"Mostly those awful bandits down by Ham's Fork. Another merchant cart has been robbed, and its owner killed. That's the third one in a month. I tell you, the situation down south really has the Mayor concerned. A fair amount of our food supplies come up that way, and no small quantity of goods leave Fairbrook by the same route. Not at all good for business."

He suddenly looks up from the Fairbrook Gazette as Sadie refills his cup. "Ah, thank you!" he says, "I'm Dagwood, secretary to Mayor Adsul."

He pauses as Sadie heads off again, then adds quietly. "You know, Mrs. Miggins came to the Mayor's office two days ago, screaming and wailing like a banshee. I'm not unsympathetic but, with the deaths on the Ham's Fork Road, we just don't have the manpower. And frankly," he lowers his voice still further to make sure he's not overheard by Sadie, "I'm not entirely certain the girl didn't just run away. It's not the first time she's spent the whole night out with young Bill Barley."

He takes a sip from his drink. "If you do look into Elsie Miggins' disappearance, I suggest you also talk with Bob Barley, the stable owner, to see if his son Bill ever came back from his assignation with the young lady."

Dagwood drains the rest of his ale and puts on his hat to leave. "I thank you again for the drink. If the Miggins affair doesn't work out for you, come by the Mayor's office. I'm sure Adsul would welcome your assistance with the bandit problem."

He pauses and turns just before he heads out the door. "Oh, and if you go out to Blackwell for any reason, do be careful. I hear it's not a place for the faint-hearted."

OOC: Actions?
See Mrs. Miggins this evening (or in the morning)?
See Bob Barley (this evening or in the morning)?
Swing by the Temple (in the morning perhaps)?
Other?

I realize this is my second post in just a day, but remember you don't need to feel rushed to respond – our "official" posting rhythm is once every two days, and you are entitled to take that time. For myself, during the work week I'll likely post closer to the once-every-two-days cadence, while during the weekend I'll tend to answer your posts a bit more quickly.

Also: I forgot to shut off word verification for comments earlier. They should be off now. Let me know if they are not.

4 comments:

  1. Varros - Fighter

    Varros maintains a look of introspection, "I'm not inclined to involve myself in what appears to be a family dispute of sorts". After a pause he goes on to say, "If we speak with the families tonight, I have a feeling that we will find our path lies in a different direction."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oloc - Mage

    "Agreed. It does begin to sound like the girl may have eloped." The young mage finishes his ale and looks at his companions. "Shall we hear them out? The sooner we get to the bottom of this the sooner we can make for the ruins!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Duran - Fighter

    After sitting and listening quietly Duran says "I get the feeling that the disappearance of the girl may have something to do with the bandits. I say we find out information about where the girl went from her family and also inquire about the bandits. We might be able to kill two birds with one stone."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gaven - cleric

    Gaven claps Dagwood on the shoulder and says, "Thank you for the information, may the Light shine on you."

    Gaven returns to the table and relays the information to the others.

    "I suggest we speak with Bob Barley tonight and Mrs. Miggins tomorrow morning. If it appears this is just two young lovers eloping, our time is better spent elsewhere."

    Gaven approaches the young couple and says, "If I may interrupt, do you know Elsie Miggins and Bill Barley?"
    If they say yes, Gaven will ask if they know where they were last seen, where they were going, if they had seen Bill since Elsie went missing.
    If not, Gaven will excuse himself.

    ReplyDelete